So you have just networked your ps3 with a pc both having gigabit card, Wondering what all you can do? Ok , coz…
1)Streaming Video :
PS3 media server is a program writted in java , which works excellent as streaming server. It is available for Windows , Mac os x and Linux.It uses opensource codecs and programs and whatsoever , Transcoding rockz!
Download PS3 media server. to your pc ,
Install it ,
Choose folder to library,
voila , It shows PS3 detected.
Now in PS3 ,
Go to Video menu -> scan for media servers -> PS3 media server .
Now just browse through the files as you would do .
2)streaming Music :
This one is a breeze. Use either itunes or VLC(http://videolan.org) to stream all your music through the net , do a scan for media server in Music menu at ps3 XMB.
Yep , it occurs . In a world with windows , anything could happen.
A PC with Windows
A crossover Ethernet cable. info here . You can get one everywhere.
Got many bluray discs lying around ? afraid of scratches and damage?
What you need:
1)PS3 we will only use this only for bluray drive. (Blu ray drives are very expensive , while ps3 came affordable with one!)
2) Linux on your ps3, YDL or Ubuntu , either will do. (see transferring files to pc section)
2)Decent pc with Core 2 duo or Quad with min 2GB RAM , and atleast 160 GB hd space.
3) Networking between the pc and ps3 ( essential , simple cross over cable will do.)
Note:If you have a router with a empty ethernet port ,Just connect your ps3 to it and choose easy settings in your ps3. This is not a alternative to guide. Reason for connecting ps3 directly to a pc , check the link at teh bottom of the guide.
- PC with windows (xp preferred , 7 ? you might get Unidentified network problem , due to unknown bug)
- Network cable , crossover one. Click here if you want to know abt cross over cable.
Update: This guide applies only to the original PS3s. Latest ps3 (slim ones) seems to lack the capability.
Two of the flavors are
Ubuntu for PS3
As ps3 is not x86 regular architecture , It is IBM compatible(note:compatible) ppc . It is cell processor with 8 cores and a RSX graphics chip, You cannot use your normal PC x86 Linux dvds to install .So you have to download the specific install dvds.
First Pros and cons of both flavors.
YDL – Yellow Dog Linux
- Installer is default redhat anaconda installer ,very simple.
- Package Manager sucks. You have to use YUM , and YDL.net account costs money!
- No kernel support for FUSE . So inorder to get full NTFS-3G (that means NTFS write support, you have to recompile the kernel)
- It is default!
- Last it was updated was 2009. :\
- Based on debian, which is one of the best flavors.
- Excellent package manager , Apt with synaptic , makes Installing packages a breeze.
- Default support for NTFS 3G.
- Comes with all config tools.
- Resolution support.
Now you know about both , choose which image to download.
Ubuntu or Kubuntu or Xubuntu ( all are same , each contains different User interfaces , xubuntu is hella faster.)
Also get petitboot from here. Download the otheros.bld file , copy it to USB flash disk under USBDRIVEROOT/PS3/OTHEROS/ and use install other os option in ps3.
After Download is finished , use some reliable program to write it to Blank dvd.
It personally use IMGBurn , and strongly recommend it. Use lowest speed you can tolerate.
While these happens on your pc, lets prepare your ps3.
PS3 as default has an option to install Other OS.
- go to system settings.
- choose format disk -> allot 10Gb to other OS. -> confirm.
- Now go to System settings , install other os.
- it will scan for dvds or USB sticks for boot loader which is a .bld file.
- Then it will show /PS3/OTHEROS/otheros.bld with start button. Press X , then it will install it to that 10GB .
- In system settings , choose Default system -> other os . Confirm when asked to reboot into other OS.
- Now the installation will start.Install using the default values.and follow your instincts.;p
- DONT WORRY abt screwing your ps3. because linux dont have access to Game OS , so you wont , seriously CANT do nething to your PS3 Game OS.
Now boot into Linux . ANy time you want to go back to PS3 Game OS , type Gameos in boot prompt or choose Boot Game OS in linux menu.
Its that simple.
Now you have Dual boot in linux .
Dont Ask why We did it, Because WE CAN.
Have a good time , ppl.
- Though PS3 is extremely powerful machine , it still has 256MB RAM , so linux might get slow sometime. So i recommend Xubuntu , if you like XFCE desktop.
- I repeat , installing linux wont screwup your ps3 game os , because linux cannot see the PS3 game partition or have no access to it.
- Full HD 1080p support is not enabled by default in YDL , but if you use graphical bootloader such as petitiboot , you can access 1080p res right from boot.
- if you choose not to use petitboot , you can change resolutions with command “sudo ps3-video-mode -m 5:1080p” on terminal .