Note:If you have a router with a empty ethernet port ,Just connect your ps3 to it and choose easy settings in your ps3. This is not a alternative to guide. Reason for connecting ps3 directly to a pc , check the link at teh bottom of the guide.
- PC with windows (xp preferred , 7 ? you might get Unidentified network problem , due to unknown bug)
- Network cable , crossover one. Click here if you want to know abt cross over cable.
steps on your pc:
Connect one end of your cross over ethernet cable to your LAN port(RJ45 port)
- Open Network connections in control panel.
- Right click on your Local Area connection and choose properties.
- Double click on Internet Protocol properties (TCP/IP).
- New dialog window will open
- Use the following IP address. enter the following.
- IP address : 192.168.1.1 Subnet mask:255.255.255.0 Default Gateway:192.168.1.1
Click OK on all dialogs and close everything. If it asks to reboot, do it.
Steps on your PS3:
IN XMB menu , choose settings , scroll to the bottom. Click Network settings.
Internet connection settings
Choose Wired -> Custom -> Use automatic for Speed -> Automatic for MTU -> now when asked for Ip address enter
Am using OpenDNS address here . You can use your own ISP’s or use Google DNS. Need to use DNS address or else DNS error might result.
Now press X to test connection.
Now it should show
Obtaining IP address : SUCCEEDED
If you got this , then everything is Done. This opens many number of possibilities.
Check the following guide to see what you can do with your networked PS3.