I previously posted an article on installing synergy on multiple operating systems. If you don’t know what synergy is, you may want to proceed over here and take a look. It is a keyboard mouse sharing via network, simply put. This article deals with the problems that frequently/occasionally occur on getting synergy working.
Come on, who do want to use 3 Keyboards/mice at once? Well, I don’t. Using synergy quite a while on 3 of my computers – an iMac, a Windows 7 PC and Ubuntu(10.10) powered one, i wish to say that’s a geek’s advantage.
Synergy’s status can be found with the tray(Windows)/Menu(Mac) icon.
Chances are that you never saw the second one, eventually got frustrated and gave up. But trust me, Synergy is more worth the buck.
This happens when the client tries to connect to the server, which is turned off. Or, synergy server is not running.
- Start Synergy on the server computer and make sure it is configured correctly. That should fix the issue.
- If the above does not work, double check your firewall/Antivirus.
- Make the synergy auto start at login or power-on. For example, in windows :
Connection timed Out
Cause : Most often, Firewall/Antivirus on the server is blocking your connection attempts. Sometimes, the server maybe down or crashed/Unresponsive (relatively common on windows ).
Solution : Synergy uses the port 24800 for its communication. That port needs to be free/unblocked in the firewall.
- Open your Antivirus/Firewall configuration and allow the port 24800 through the firewall. If you are not sure about how to open the port in your specific brand of Antivirus/Firewall, do a google search with the keywords Open port in ‘_ANTI_VIRUS_FIREWALL_NAME_HERE_’ . I use ISP branded F-Secure, which conveniently offers an option “Open a Port” in its Internet shield settings.
- If the above solution does not work, check whether the server computer has crashed or Locked. If so, you need to restart it.
Server already has a connected client with name “Client_Name”
Cause : Two computers unintentionally given the same screen name(by which server identifies).
- Change the name of one computer and try to reconnect.
- If not, restart the synergy server. That is done by right clicking Tray icon –> quit synergy and Start menu –> Programs –> Synergy+ –> Synergy+
Make Video / Games stay Full screen with synergy
Cause : Most video and games applications needs to be on Focus when viewed full screen. When the focus is lost, obviously they leave full screen to window mode. Synergy on moving the cursor to the next screen(that is to another computer), captures the focus on the previous screen and takes foreground. So video applications/Games on losing focus, leaves full screen or minimizes.
Windows : Open the synergy main window and click options. Usually the last one is “Don’t take foreground window on windows servers” . Check and start the server.
Cannot initialize Hook library : Synergy already running?
Cause : You are trying to run another instance, while it is already running on the background.
- Try connecting the clients. Unless synergy has crashed, it should connect promptly.
- If it does not, Open Task manager and look for synergys.exe under processes. Right click and choose to end the process.
- If the above does not work, open command prompt(+R keys–> Type “Cmd”->enter) and enter the below command. That should do it.
taskkill /IM synergys.exe /F
If it still doesn’t work, try gaucho’s tip, the first comment below.
Synergy configuration / Firewall & everything seemed perfect. Yet, I faced this strange problem one day. Synergy tray icon showed a “blocked” symbol – i.e Red circle with a Diagonal line. I tried reconfiguration & reinstalled synergy numerous times, which was of no help.
Cause : You probably installed an additional input Language in your windows PC. And synergy is incompatible with some of the language’s characters.
Fix : None other than removing the input language that’s conflicting.
Hopefully this will be fixed, I presume. If anybody figured out a workaround, please share.
Synergy : Cannot read configuration
Cause : Something wrong with/in the Synergy configuration file.
Fix : If you typed the configuration file, Check for any typos and correct Section : name ……. End syntax. Otherwise, delete the configuration file and redo.
Cannot move cursor back to the other/previous screen
Cause : Unintentional wrong configuration. Trust me, it may get confusing sometimes.
Fix : Correct the configuration. In recent/beta versions of synergy, It is easy – just as arranging the monitor icons in exact order. If you have older version, proceed.
Synergy Configuration Revisited
You have two computers – For example iMac and Windows 7 Dell. Imagine those as two persons (or gals maybe ) standing next to each other.
- For iMac, dell is on the left. For Dell, iMac is on the right.
- Otherwise said, Dell is right of iMac. iMac is left of Dell.
i.e. relative to them. Likewise, relative to the computers. And not relative to third person/us. Got it?
So synergy configuration window – Click [New Link] and below the box, Enter the correct configuration like in the example above. That should do it.
My previous detailed post on Synergy Installation and configuration in Windows, Mac OS and Ubuntu Linux can be found here.
United, we rule.